Tuesday, January 9, 2018

2017 vs. 2018

I am sure that you have seen lots of posts from people discussing successful strategies in 2017 and what their plan is for 2018 is, etc. I to have thought about this, but don’t plan on writing about that now extensively. However, there are a few things I want to do more of this year, namely through art and practice. 

I just ordered and completed “Alla Prima A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Direct Painting”. It is a beautiful book about art and painting technique. 

I have been avoiding buying physical books due to space and clutter avoidance (I mostly buy e-books and have them electronically instead). This book in particular is really wonderful. It describes the painting techniques via different contemporary artists and the tools that they used to achieve these results. The book includes art tools, types of art (self portrait vs. portrait vs. landscape work) all really well done and presented in a digestible manner. 

One of the practice methods listed was copying master techniques via master studies.
When I was took the Oatley Art Academy of online course a few years ago, this was the first time that this concept was introduced. (Prior to that I had done a few master copies, but I didn’t really do them enough to get any value from them.) 

There is a lot to be gained from reviewing and practicing master studies. 

Namely understanding choices that the artist made when making heir piece. I was so inspired by this that I plan to spend a whole chunk of time this year dong them along with my own work. 
My technique will be to go through the text, and pick the pieces and artists that I find the most inspirational. 
I will them from month to month. This means of deliberate practice will add loads of information to my repertoire and further inform and expand my skills this year. 
Artists that I have selected are as follows:
-Cecelia Beaux
-Arthur Decosta
-Rachel Constantine
-Willam Merritt Chase
-Theodore Robinson
-Jon Redmond
-Peter Paul Reubens
-John Singer Sargent

(to name a few):

I am looking to start this month and am anxious to see what comes out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment